The Problem with Missguided’s £1 Bikini

Missguided £1 Bikini Group Photo

Image Credit; Missguided

“The bikini set everyone will notice (but your bank account won’t)”

If you weren’t aware, Missguided recently launched their £1 bikini.

It was available in sizes 4-24, made out of polyester, and yes… It cost just £1. Many jumped on the opportunity to grab themselves the budget swimwear. Some even complained about being unable to get their hands on one of their own.

It’s marketing at it’s finest. Making people feel like they need yet another cheap, low-quality product.

For the conscious consumer, this was anything but a call for celebration.

“Try not to panic, this bikini costs £1”

As a fast fashion brand, this move from Missguided doesn’t surprise me. The £1 bikini is a marketing tactic to drive more traffic to their site; they’re not making money from this product. How could they? It costs far more than £1 to produce a bikini.

It really makes you call into question the quality of a product when it’s retailing for just £1. I believe you get what you pay for. Missguided’s £1 bikini is exactly that… misguided.

In an official statement, Missguided said “we launched the £1 bikini as a promotional item to celebrate 10 years of empowering women to look and feel good without breaking the bank”.

But what about the garment workers? Are we not also trying to empower them?

While the idea of a budget swimwear might be alluring, it comes at a cost to somebody. Not you or me, but the garment workers. Venetia Falconer did a great video on her Instagram, calling Missguided out. She has yet to receive any form of response.

Missguided £1 Bikini Top

Image credit; Missguided

“Cheaper than a cheeseburger”

One in six people work in the fashion industry worldwide. Of those, 85% are women. It’s no secret that garment workers are underpaid, with just 2% earning a living wage. To put into perspective how unfair that is; it’s a 1.2 trillion dollar industry.

Did you know that in order to produce polyester fibre it takes 70 billion barrels of oil per year? That’s the same polyester fibre Missguided used for this bikini. It also take over 200 years to break down.

Climate Crisis who? What? Where?

“Be quick babe, there’s limited stock”

The fashion industry produces 80 billion pieces per year. On average, a garment is only worn 7 times before it goes to landfill. So why aren’t we stopping brands like Missguided from running wasteful promotional deals?

Well, also this week, the UK Government published their response to the Fixing Fashion Report. This is a series of recommendations by the Environmental Audit Committee, in an attempt to make fashion more sustainable.

The UK Government rejected the recommendation to ban brands from incinerating or sending old stock to landfill. Keep in mind that in July 2018, Burberry incinerated almost £30 million worth of unsold stock.

They also rejected a scheme recommendation to get brands to reduce their waste. The Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) scheme was rejected, which would’ve required brands to pay 1p per garment in an attempt to reduce textile waste. They even refused to implement mandatory sustainability targets on all fashion brands with a £36+ million turnover.

Black Bikini

Photo Credit; Missguided

So what does all of this mean?

It means that brands like Missguided will continue to get away with products like the £1 bikini. Products which are produced by underpaid garment workers, using unsustainable materials, just to get website traffic. And the Government refuse to put legislation in place that could reduce this behaviour.

So we can expect to see more products like the £1 bikini. More unethical throw-away items that will pile up in our landfills. Five years after the Rana Plaza collapse, you’d think we’d be doing better by now.

Alternatives to the £1 bikini

Instead of throwing your money (albeit just £1) on a poorly produced plastic bikini, here’s some things you can do instead.

Wear last years bikini. Nobody cares if you’ve worn that bikini once, twice, or a million times. Wear it again! Cherish the items you already own. This is the ultimate sustainable option.

Buy second-hand. No, I don’t mean used. I’d feel weird about wearing a pre-worn bikini too, trust me. But you can find never-worn, brand new bikinis on second-hand sites like Depop! They’re often cheap as chips, and it’s a sustainable option.

Purchase from ethical & sustainable swimwear brands. While this is a much more pricey option, this swimwear will last. You’ve also got the added benefit of it being made in an eco-conscious, ethical way. To browse my ultimate A-Z of sustainable brands, click here.

Did you hear about the £1 bikini? What do you think?

Share:
16 comments so far.

16 responses to “The Problem with Missguided’s £1 Bikini”

1. Michelle says:

This is absolutely spot on. It’s such a disgraceful marketing tactic and it makes me feel sick.

2. Lucy says:

I heard about the £1 bikini but I never bought into the hype, I just think that it would be crap quality and it doesn’t look like it would fit the bigger boobed girl (like myself!) , like you said, there’s so many other sustainable options out there, which is something we should all invest in! xx

Lucy | http://www.lucymary.co.uk

• I highly doubt the quality would be the same as higher priced item. It’s obvious that they designed it for marketing purposes without actual regard to the functionality of the design. Thanks for reading, Lucy!
      El xx

3. Hollie Byrne says:

Being more sustainable is something I’m really making an effort to do at the moment and this bikini has irked me. Great post.

4. Lucie says:

Great post! I don’t even like the bikini much, so it definitely wasn’t on my agenda to buy…

I actually haven’t bought a bikini in years. I think they last because you only wear them a couple of times a year, if that!

• That’s so true! Until recently, I’ve worn the same bikini for 2/3 years. Annoyingly my chest is too big for that set now, but I agree that they’re not something which need to be replaced often. Who’s realistically wearing swimwear all that often? Thanks for reading Lucie!
      El xx

5. Alice says:

I completely understand and agree with your outrage! And like you said, you get what you pay for and personally, if I saw any item of clothing for £1 (other than second-hand/in a charity shop) I wouldn’t buy it simply because you just know that the people doing the dirty work to create these items aren’t being treated fairly for the work they’re doing. I always found Missguided clothing to be smaller sized so I barely ever shopped there anyway but I wont be at all anymore!
    Alice Xx

6. Kirstie says:

This is right on the mark thank you for highlighting this issue so well! I love your blog by the way! Lots of love kirstie from the glow getters Facebook group 💕

• It was bugging me from the minute I saw the advertisement so I felt like I had to say something! Thanks so much Kirstie, you’re too kind. I’m so glad you enjoyed the post.
      El xx

7. Shareen HD says:

I didn’t hear about it and I’ve never shopped there before but I think anyone with some sense to stop and consider what a £1 swimsuit really means would know better than to buy it for all of the reasons above!

• It’s awful, most people would think “oh, bargain” but don’t actually think about the repercussions of that garment. It’s such a shame. Thank you for reading Shareen!
      El xx

8. Emily says:

I had no idea they had released a £1 bikini until I saw lots of (rightful) complaints about the sustainability of it. It’s absolutely disgraceful of Missguided to do this and I’m really disappointed to see them doing it.

Emily | Snippets of Em xx