Is The Lost Stock Clothing Box All it’s Cracked up to be?

The fashion industry is one of many affected by the coronavirus pandemic. Big clothing brands have pulled out on orders with their garment factories, leaving thousands without payment and tonnes of clothing with nowhere to go. Until now. Lost Stock are an organisation who’ve found a way to rehome these ‘lost stock’ items. Not only that, but every box sold helps support a garment worker for a week.

Who are Lost Stock?

Lost Stock is an online service set up by Mallzee – a free shopping app. They’re a start-up Edinburgh-based business who have partnered with the SAJIDA Foundation to bring Lost Stock to life.

But there’s a lot of scepticism surrounding Lost Stock because of this. Mallzee stocks hundreds of fast fashion brands on their platform, and continues to stock the brands who were guilty of not paying their garment workers. So a lot of the problem is the fact that they seem to be playing both sides of the game.

On one hand, they’re doing seemingly great things with Lost Stock. On the other, they’re continuing to contribute towards the fast fashion industry and contributing towards a wider problem.

Read more; A Beginner’s Guide to Fashion Revolution Week

Lost Stock Box Flatlay

About SAJIDA

SAJIDA are a Bangladesh-based non-profit organisation who provide various financial services, developmental programmes and help socially responsible businesses. Their mission statement is “health, happiness, and dignity for all”. During the pandemic, SAJIDA have provided 50,000 households with food and hygiene packages, distributed over 18,000 sets of PPE, and installed 475 portable hand washing devices.

My View on Lost Stock

Personally, I chose to purchase a box. It seems like a great concept altogether; a brilliant way of being able to support a garment worker in addition to stopping clothing items from going to landfill unnecessarily.

Had I looked more into the parent company, Mallzee, I probably would’ve thought twice about placing my order. It looks innocent enough on the surface, and the Lost Stock is fairly transparent about where the money is going. But it does make me a little suspicious to find out it’s run by a business built upon the fast fashion model.

I don’t think there’s necessarily a right or wrong way to approach this situation, but I think it’s important to stay informed. Nothing is ever what it seems.

My Experience with Lost Stock

After ordering my Lost Stock box I began getting concerned that it was… well, lost! It didn’t arrive until early August, despite the fact I ordered it months prior. I understand a slight delay with the pandemic etc but it still didn’t add up to me, especially when there were no email updates until late July. So a lot of my experience was just being worried I’d paid £35 for an imaginary product.

When it arrived, I was disappointed. It wasn’t a box as advertised, but a plastic mailer bag filled with smaller plastic mailer bags of individual clothing items. Which I’m assuming, are pretty difficult if not completely non recyclable.

As for the clothing, it absolutely wasn’t what I’d anticipated. While Lost Stock claim to pick based on a style quiz, it all seems very generic to me. Based on the fact that I saw almost 5 bloggers receive the exact same three items as me, it seems they have 2 or 3 ‘sets’ that they send out based on a vague description.

Read more; What I Want from the Sustainable Fashion Industry

Lost Stock Clothing Labels

More to the point, all original clothing labels were replaced with their own bespoke Lost Stock labels. This might not seem like a huge problem at first glance but it kind of defeats the point. We’re supposed to be demanding that brands “pay up” and pay their garment workers what they owe, rather than mass cancelling orders and leaving them in the lurch.

Since Mallzee, the parent company of Lost Stock, work with a lot of the brands refusing to “pay up” it can be assumed that this was done to keep them on side. Mallzee didn’t want to start a fire in their own back garden, presumably.

What was in my Style Box?

Since receiving a lot of backlash, their website buying options have been updated. Their original box didn’t outline the amount of items you’d receive, but gave a brief “you’ll receive an amount of items to the value of what you pay”. Okay, fair enough.

Blue Ruffle Tee Stripy Tie Front Tee Stripy Box Tee

There were three graphic tees in my ‘box’. Two white with navy stripes, the differentiating factor being that one had floral detail and a tie front while the other was a classic boxy tee. The third item was a ruffle detail blue top with white stripes. None of which I felt matched the description I’d provided in their style quiz.

Read more; Let’s Talk About the Boohoo Slavery Scandal

The Pricing Breakdown

Lost Stock are seemingly very transparent about their pricing breakdown. This was a bonus for me, as I was feeling sceptical anyway, but it still leaves questions. *I’d also like to point out I can no longer find this on the Lost Stock website, whereas it was originally fairly easy to locate.

The diagram shows that ~37-38% of the £35 are donated to the SAJIDA Foundation.

Lost Stock Pricing Breakdown

Other Things to Make Note of…

Despite all of the scepticism around their first batch of boxes, Lost Stock are now taking orders for Autumn and Winter style boxes. These are around the £40 mark, and has raised quite a few eyebrows.

Items received in the Lost Stock boxes have been seen listed on fast fashion websites such as Matalan. Therefore raising questions about the legitimacy of Lost Stock. If they really are selling “dead stock” items that have been dumped by these brands, why are they for sale in Matalan?

Not only that, but the prices they’re selling at don’t match the value paid to Lost Stock. You pay Lost Stock £35, therefore it can be assumed you’re getting items to the value of £10~ each if you receive 3 items. But the prices for the same garments on the retailer websites are as low as £6… so what’s going on?

It’s also worth noting that their website originally promised clothing to the value of £70 would be in this £35 ‘box’. They’ve since changed the wording on their website, which I find to be a bit crafty.

While I don’t have all the answers, it just seems a bit odd to me. Looking back, I’d have preferred to just donate the full £35 I paid straight to a charitable organisation like the SAJIDA Foundation.

Super Quick Summary

Do I think Lost Stock was a great idea? Yes.

Was I happy with my Lost Stock order? No.

Have I kept any of my items? The striped boxy fit tee.

Will I buy from them again? Absolutely not.

Do I think Lost Stock is a scam? Unsure.

What are your thoughts on Lost Stock? Did you buy one? Let me know what you thought in the comments below!

Share:
18 comments so far.

18 responses to “Is The Lost Stock Clothing Box All it’s Cracked up to be?”

1. Ashleigh says:

I received my lost stock box in the weekend and I was quite disappointed, but I hope it makes people realise how poor the quality is of the clothes they buy from fast fashion brands regularly! Really good post though, I liked the breakdown of products.
    Ashleigh \ https://www.loveashleigh.com

• Totally agree, I hadn’t even thought of that! Luckily my friend is getting lots of use out of the bits I gifted her so silver linings and all that. It’s such a shame it wasn’t as good as it was advertised to be. Thanks so much for reading Ashleigh.
      El xx

2. Alice Myles says:

I’m so interested to hear peoples thoughts on this! I ordered mine back in May and I still haven’t gotten it! (Side note: I’ve been away for a few days so its possible that it’s arrived and I just haven’t had any confirmation) I was so excited by it but ive seen so many people who have been disappointed! I’m just so intrigued to see what I’ve gotten now

• Oh my gosh! I hope you get it soon, that’s a crazy amount of time to wait without any updates via email etc. Mine felt as though it took an eternity to arrive too and they didn’t update me along the way which was annoying. Thanks for reading Alice!
      El xx

3. Janet Blaikie says:

I ordered mine many months ago. Fell for the helping out Bangladesh garment makers line. My latest email from Lost Box included a Royal Mail tracking number. Looked online and my parcel originated in China. I’m not sure how this squares with the original charitable intent.

• Sounds exactly like a lot of the experiences I’ve seen! It’s such a shame because the overall idea was fab but I really am dubious about the origins and don’t believe it’s what they’re marketing it as at all.
      El x

4. Cathy Marjoram says:

Just received our lost stock ‘box’ ( plastic bag). Four very flimsy frumpy tops…frills and clumpy lace…looks like they’ve come from a jumble sale. We ordered them really early on (March/April?) and now we are well into Autumn they have finally arrived. I bought them for my son’s 18year old girlfriend who is is living with us, to cheer her up and to ‘help out’ the Bangladesh workers…not sure it did either! Quite disappointed!

• Oh no! That’s such a shame. Most of the feedback I’ve seen has been a lot of the same disappointment. Fingers crossed you can find an alternative to give your son’s girlfriend a bit of a boost!
      El xx

5. Monica says:

I ordered my box back in May, and haven’t received anything, not even a tracking code. And what use is summer clothes today! I am tempted to cancel, just allowing the charitable payment to go through.

6. Ellmmaa says:

Received my lost stock package today. Three items short/sleeveless thin tops. Would not pay £35 for these, certainly not worth £70. The cause is a great idea, the products are cheap and certainly nit my style.
    Interestingly I notice the top picture is an exact pattern to my mine, I asked for plain so it is in a cream colour.
    Would not even consider purchasing them again, much prefer to do a straight donation to the cause if I could be sure it would go the right place and not line someone else’s pockets!
    Summary: Do not purchase, if you do be prepared to be disappointed 🙁

• Oh no! That’s such a shame. It seems like we’ve all pretty much had the same experience with them! I’ll definitely just stick to donating directly to the cause next time.
      El xx

7. K M says:

I received my package today, having ordered over 4 months ago! To be honest I had given up hope and thought it was a total.scam, despite receiving emails promising me I’d receive the tops shortly for the last 2 months.
    There was no option then of a winter box so I now have 3 quite flimsy tops which I won’t be able to wear until next summer. Two of them I would wear (but probably not have chosen) and the third is too frilly and very poor quality.
    I wish I’d researched this before buying and to be honest would rather have donated the full amount to the charity.

• Unfortunately it seems like we’re all in the same boat here Kathryn! It’s a shame because it had the potential to be something really positive. Thanks so much for reading, I really appreciate it.
      El xx

8. Kathryn says:

I ordered a ‘box’ in May and have still not received it. It’s a scam in my opinion and I’m very annoyed that I was taken in by an article in The Guardian and sent £35 for a promised £70 of clothing. It’s been 5 months now. They are still advertising a delivery time of 6-8 weeks on their website and I’ve e-mailed a few times and get sickly generic responses about how wonderful I am to be sending my money to their wonderful organisation. It’s really sad that they have taken advantage of this whole situation and no doubt made a killing. There is no sign of a refund anywhere and I am pretty sure I’ll never get my money back. How much has the CEO of this company made out of this?

• Thanks for reading Kathryn, I’m so sorry to hear about your experience! It’s such a nightmare and a shame that you’ve had to suffer at the cost of what seemed like a reputable charity. Hopefully they can resolve your issue soon!
      El xx

9. Ce says:

I ordered in May but still nothing yet. I honestly believe its a bit of a scam, in that they’ve bitten off more than they can chew qbut realise they’re on to a good things and won’t admit defeat. No one is really going to ask for refund when its a charity are they? So you wait and wait and wait…and you get the same generic “we are sorry look out for our email”. But nothing comes. My advice would be to find a reputable charity and make a donation. Only buy a “box” if you don’t mind waiting over 6 months for basic tshirts it seems.

• That’s crazy! I totally get where you’re coming from in regards to asking for a refund, especially when a portion is being donated to charity. Thanks so much for reading Ce.
      El xx